08 July 2010

Vacation's Over, time to enjoy vacation

Home from vacation. This year's adventure was to Washington, DC to visit out darling daughter, with a side trip on the way home to visit Gettysburg. Of course, as a teacher, I'm still on vacation for a few more weeks, sort of--I am working on the science textbook adoption committee again this year.

I did manage to do something fiberish while on vacation. I had signed up to join in on some fun with some peeps who love Three Irish Girls Yarn on Ravelry--a knit a sock in a day challenge. I'd stalled around for a month or more changing my mind about which sock to knit and what yarn to knit it with and was generally running out of time. I finally picked the pattern (one of the suggested one, that lots of others in the gang had already used to successfully meet the challenge). Then I realized just before we left that I'd have to knit that sock while we were on the road if I was going to get it done before time ran out. Well, there was a deadline, and I do like to knit in the car, since my beloved husband won't let anyone else drive. So I packed the needles and stitch markers (that I never used) and off we went.

I did manage to finish the sock in the car, and well within the 24 hour time period. I even got a start on the second sock.

Here's the sock
sock in a day
Insomnia, by Allison Janocha.

I made a couple of tiny changes (the designer recommends several variations, and they gave me ideas). I made the socks shorter (three repeats instead of five) because I just like short socks. Also, I didn't continue the pattern down the instep of the foot; instead, I knit it solid, and added a few of the openwork textured boxes from the sole (The pattern actually calls for closed versions of the boxes on the instep).

The cuffs:
cuffs


The open work on one foot:

foot inset detail

I came home to lots of great mail--yarn from Three Irish Girls and yarn I'd purchased from a destash, as well as some fiber. Speaking of fiber, it's that time again, yep Tour de Fleece. I've been tooo exhausted from our trip to spin yet, but I've got time set aside tomorrow for just that....See ya then!

No comments:

Post a Comment