13 June 2010

Stretching out...

On the 18" niddy-noddy: 13 wraps of Merino wool/silk
On the wheel: about a quarter bobbin full from about two yards (when unspun) of something labeled "course merino" from Linda Scharf.

Months ago I began receiving various samples of fibers from a few generous benefactors (benefactresses?). A handful of that, an ounce of this, a tiny amount of something else. Natural colors and hand-dyed clown barf; soothing shades of teal, cool greens and riotous Autumnal shades of red and gold, literally every color of the rainbow.

I also have smaller amounts of fibers I've purchased, just to try them to see if I like them. Course fibers suitable only for weaving warp, middling soft fibers best used as outerwear, and soft, scrumptious fibers for next to the face.

Today I decided it was time to put them to their best use---forcing me to be experimental and encouraging me to try new things.

So I pulled out several bags of them and set them next to my wheel. They are hand now, no need to dig through the bins trying to find a certain one of them. Most are in separate plastic bags, labeled with fiber and source. I decided to grab a bag at random, and play. I plan to take notes, make samples, tape them to a notebook, and do finishing and sample knitting...You know, "do it the right way" sort of sampling.

We'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment