06 June 2010

Wow. It's been a long time since I posted. This has been a tough school year everyone in the school system I work for. There were several reasons:
a) this was the year we got our visit from the accreditation committee (we passed with flying colors)
b)budget issues from federal, state, and county cuts were affecting us. We had to let a few teachers go last year, and that made things more hectic for the rest of us.
c) we had to ask the community for a tax increase...the taxpayers turned us down. Now we have to close one of the elementary schools and we had to lay off more teachers --25% of us--ouch
d) Student morale was down along with teacher morale

I found it hard to stay "up" and "cheery" and no matter how I tried, the students weren't responding the way they have other years. I didn't have much time for spinning and weaving--I did well to find time to knit, most evenings.

HOWEVER...A few weeks ago, I finished this yarn.

handspun gray alpaca

It's some Alpaca I bought from a local shop. The owner made sure to remind me several times during the sale that it was "older" and had been sitting around awhile...I expected to have problems with it, but it spun up wonderfully. I need practice making heavier yarn.

A few nights ago, I managed to finish this skein, also spun in a heavier manner. I did it while watching television over a couple of evenings.
Handspun from gifted fiber

The fiber was given to me, so I felt I could play with it more freely. I tried spinning it thin, and then thick and thin, and finally settled on something that would give me a worsted weight. I Navajo plied some of it and two-plied the rest.

School is out now, so I took a day to update my stash photos on Ravelry, and to sign up for a couple of Tour de Fleece groups. Suffice it to say, there should be lots more coming onto this blog when that starts!

I plan to spin some of this great Black Welsh Mountain

Black Welsh 1 pound Desert Weyr

And some of this Wensleydale from Sheepish Creations.
Sheepish Creations Wensleydale

As well as the new pencil roving I got from my Southern Charms club subscription:
Dreams in Fiber SW merino roving Sea, Stone
The two colorways are called "Sea" and "Stone" and is made with the first book of the Susan Cooper "The Dark is Rising" series of children's books. It's superwash merino (about 2 ounces each).

Did I ever show off this cute little skein from some unknown fiber in a lovely mint color?
hanspun unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment