09 July 2010

Tour de Fleece

Yep, it's that time agai: Tour de Fleece. Ravelry members from all areas joining in together to spend their time spinning each day the Tour de France riders are on their bikes. I loved spinning for the tour last year, so I decided to try it again. My vacation has put me a little behind--well, several days behind, but I'll just spend a little extra time behind the wheel to atone for that.

Spinning for the Tour de Fleece 2010

I spent a couple of hours today and this evening, between other tasks, spinning some wonderful Superwash Merino Pencil Roving dyed by Dreams in Fiber. It's half of a club shipment in the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. I had not read the series until Erica started talking about using it as the basis for one of her clubs. I ordered the complete set, and I'm glad I did; it's an excellent read.

That first was based on the first book of the series, Over Sea, Under Stone.

Dreams in Fiber SW merino roving Sea, Stone

I started with Under Stone first. I wanted to spin it fairly fine, hoping for enough yardage to make a large scarf/small shawl. It spins beautifully. Erica is a fantastic dyer, and she has a great touch with the pencil roving. You can tell she enjoys spinning it herself.

Dreams in Fiber SW Merino Pencil Roving -- Tour de Fleece 8 July 2010

The photo doesn't do it justice. I had to shoot the shot late at night, so I could post my day's work to the forum. It's less blue than it appears here and the lovely teals are almost lost.

Other goodies I gained lately:
Great Northern Yarns 70% mink 30% cashmere in Carribean Bay, English Lavender and Terra Cotta (Hey, they were on sale!)
100_3198002Mink lilacmink coral

An absolutely wonderful yarn on silk sock by Fresh from the Cauldron, in a modified colorway based on her Mina (but with less white):
Mina silk sock fftc

A braid of Wensleydale by Shheepish Creations, in Christopher Robin:
Sheepish Creations Wensleydale

And a pound of Black Welsh Mountain, purchased straight off the sheep (well, almost) from Desert Weyr:
Black Welsh 1 pound Desert Weyr

Lots more, bu those should keep me busy for a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment