09 July 2009

Touring some more--and socks!

Thursday, July 9th 2009 Tour de Fleece
I tried something a bit different today. I used the same fiber on a spindle and the wheel: Suffolk/Hampshire cross roving from eXtreme Spinning. The effort from the spindle came out tauter and smoother, but I was able to get a "smooshier" yarn on the wheel.
I even figured out how to make it thick and thin in places, although that doesn't show up in the photos.

July 09- Suffolk/Hampshire cross
July 09- Spindle Suffolk/Hampshire cross July 09- Wheel Suffolk/Hampshire cross

Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 Tour de Fleece
Just added more to the silk spinning from yesterday. I am beginning to be able to control the drafting zone so I get a smooth flow and a steady diameter yarn. Now if I could just get the spinning done early enough in the day to get a good photo!
Wed July 8th Tour de Fleece- more silk


I also finished my first pair of socks ever. I made them for my husband, with yarn he bought me for my birthday. They took forever, because I spent as much time frogging them as knitting them on the first sock--the second sock was done in a week. Now to figure out what I will do about a pair for myself...

First sock




Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 Tour de Fleece:

A couple of months ago, I won a batt from Altereed Vision for a random drawing after writing an entry on the Phat Fiber blog. I plan to turn it into an art yarn.

Prize batt

I spent my time today trying to spin some dyed silk cap I bought from someone in a destash recently. I think it has the right color to ply with the batt.

silk - dyed silk cap

It doesn't look like much yet, but it was my first attempt with silk on the spinning wheel, although I have worked with it on a spindle before. It took me about a half an hour to carefully peel off one layer of the silk cap, pre-draft it for spinning and spin the amount on the spindle. I obviously have a lot to learn, but it wasn't a bad first attempt. I do have to admit, I preferred working with it on the wheel to using the spindle. On the spindle, I felt like I didn't have nearly enough hands, and the drafting zone kept getting away from me. With the wheel, I could use both hands to control the drafting zone when I got to the thicker parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment