
Today I spun with pencil roving for the first time. It's 100% superwash merino pencil roving in "Newborn" from the Camp Twilgiht Series at GherkinsBucket.

Now this is different. It's sooooo pre-drafted it almost spins itself. That was neat, because it let me focus on other aspects of spinning, especially using the treadle to control the rate of spinning more effectively. I was also able to watch the spin going onto the yarn better, instead of relying on the feel. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not, but I think it's good, because I could analyze what was happening when the texture of the yarn changed under my fingers. It seemed like I learned something anyway.
I love the way this was prepped in two long strands dyed together. In theory, I'll end up with two matching skeins of yarn --although there is no way that will really happen because some of my spinning is thicker than others still, but at least it is true in theory. Hopefully, this will end up being sock yarn. It depends on the total yardage. It looks like one of the strands will fill a bobbin, but I don't know how much that will be after plying. If I have to, I may spin a second plain color double ply it with that if the yardage comes out just right.

No comments:
Post a Comment