19 September 2010

Always catching up

Or always behind....

The beginning of the school year always puts me into a tizzy. I find myself in a frenzy of trying to adjust to whatever new schedule of classes I have to teach, learn the names of 171 new kids, get used to waking up at the time I am used to going to bed...

Mid September now, and I finally feel as though I am catching up at last.

I have been immersed in fibery fun...

Trying to turn this very raw buffalo into something that resembles yarn
buffalo fiber uncarded buffako yarn 2 plied 18 July 2010
It's a sad looking little length of yarn, I know. But in my defense, it came from some fiber that was given to me by a teacher in Canada. It came from slaughter animals, and had to be washed more than a few times before I could work with it. I didn't even have my hand carders or my new combs when I tried this--I just worked from the raw fiber. I think when I learn ho to use my combs to blend fiber, it might make nice yarn...If only I can figure out what to blend it with...silk? bfl? coopworth? merino?


Testing three unknown yarns to see if they might be hemp or some other fiber that makes "linen"

3 unknown fibers burn test
Turns out it does test to be possible hemp or flax. Now to learn how to spin those kinds of fibers. I had a great time doing the tests. Must be the science teacher geek in me.

Spinning and spinning and spinning some more lovely fibers from clubs, destashes, and fiber store runs...

Now I need to pick patterns for cowls and hand warmers.

Must have handwarmers for my classroom--it is always FREEZING in there!




And working on a knitted lace scarf that is driving me only slightly mad...



No comments:

Post a Comment