Well actually, it is my fault. It's the end of the school year and I am determined I will not slack off at the last and let my students down. No matter how much we all want a nap--just a short nap-- instead of learning/teaching about radiometric dating, we will, in fact, be exploring radiometric dating instead of having a nap. We should nap at home. Or over the summer, maybe.
The end of the year is hard on everyone, I think. The admin are tired of dealing with the same issues day after day. The teachers are all in overdrive, trying to get things finished up the right way. The seniors have already checked out mentally, and are just going through the motions and counting days, hours, minutes until the end of education (for some) and the end of "the way it used to be" for the others. I can see panic setting into the eyes of the ones who will go away to college--they know "this is it"--soon, they will move into a dorm somewhere far enough away their parents won't check up on them too often, and leave behind all the people they've know for the past 12 or 13 years. Life will change. They won't be surrounded by people who don't want to be where they are any longer, they will face "the competition" for their future. And somehow, they will have to make friends and connections among those strangers, while missing their friends, and family, and own bed something fierce. Even the students who will not go on to college are feeling something like that. They are done with kid stuff and now it's time to "do something adult" ready or not. Some of them have just realized they are not ready, and are feverishly trying to figure out what they will do about that. Whether the kids will stay or go, they are experiencing a heady sort of panic--half joyous and half bittersweet. I wish every single one of them well.
But the last minute pleas for makeup work and extra credit have me scrambling to keep up my grading, and to design new ways to tease the information out of students determined to squeeeze just a few more points out of thir educational opportunities. I've had so little time for fiber creativity.
Oh but you know I have done some things here and there.
Oh I have used the spindle a bit, and made some lovely discoveries about creating yarn from fluff. I still haven't warped the loom, although I've had it out twice to do just that, and been sidetracked both times. I've bought some bargain yarn from Ravelry folks. I've almost finished one of my husband's socks.
I won a Phat Fiber Box in last month's sale.

It had some lovely goodies in it. I particurlarly liked the locks from H.A.Y. (the little green ones) the sample of Icelandic wools from Cedarland Farm

and the generous little batt from Maude & Me

But there were lots of pretties in there, and I'll take individual photos and post them all soon--before I tear into them to use with my new big purchase, for sure!
Oh, did I mention the new big purchase?

Annie sold me one of her spinning wheels. It's an Ashford traditional and it is just beautiful. I had to grade tests all weekend, and make plans for this next week and I wasn't able to sit down to try it much. And then of course, I finally made time to sit down to spin and immediately broke the drive band thread! I must have gotten it out of adjustment bringing it home. The band for the flyer? whorl? brake? (not sure of my technical vocab yet) had slipped over the spool and it held the wheel back just enough to split the drive band thread. I should be going to get twine right now, instead of blogging!
And of course, I am almost out of fiber. Well, not really, but even I can see that this baby will eat fiber compared to using the spindle. What was beginning to look like a nice collection of assorted goodies to try now looks like a pathetically tiny heap of fluff. That would be just another opportnity to go buy new pretties, but the trip to GeoWoodstock looms and bills had to be paid. Plus a certain husband honey has an upcoming birthday, and as good as he's been about me financing my newest adddition, I have to make sure he gets something really special this year!
Anyone have any fibers for spinning they don't want? Send 'em my way, please!

No comments:
Post a Comment