I have been knitting, and spinning, and weaving as well....and I've become addicted to Facebook, which is sucking up whatever time I have that is not spent preparing to teach my classes or grading papers or spinning and knitting and weaving. Sigh. I'll have to escape from Farmville, somehow, but it won't be easy.
Today was the second annual drive to The Woolery in Frankfort to stock up on supplies for my birthday run--thanks to a loving husband who was woefully unprepared for my birthday this year (but that's OK, I was actually hoping for a repeat of last year's trip!).
Today I got:
a pair of handcarders (Yay! Look out bison fiber--you will become spinnable now!)
a swift (no more back of the chair winding for me)
some fiber for spinning--
---4 oz California Red Wool roving
---1 pound of Corriedale
---a bag of 20 bombyx silk cocoons
---1.7 oz rose grey alpaca huacaya
---2.1 oz white alpaca huacaya
We had a deja vu experience there. Last year when we went to the store, it wasn't officially open yet, but there was a spinning club there and the store was 'sort of' open while they were there. The place was packed and the manager was trying to help me pick out a spindle when she realized the organizer of the spinning club was a pro at teaching spindle spinning, and she asked her to give me a lesson. Ten minutes later, I was spinning with a spindle. Imagine my surprise to find my spinning teacher there, along with her friend and fellow librarian (who drove her last year, too)---and the store manager remembered it was my birthday! How cool is that?
Lots of other stuff to catch up on--and I will soon:
Lots of yarn from Three Irish Girls (Sharon is my favorite dyer!)
spinning Clun Forest
I got into the VSC2 club by Fresh from the Cauldron's squibstitcher (who is also my favorite dyer)
Great club stuff by a trio of dyers/suppliers "I ♥ the 80's" by Jen (Squibsticher) of Fresh from the Cauldron,
Krysten of Gherkin's Bucket, and Erica of Dreamsinfiber
Fantastic goodies from the Southern Charms Club by Gherkin's Bucket--including "The Lady"
See what it became:

Some hats for me and my guys for Christmas-including What's Your Damage" silk & merino by squibstitcher

which became this hat

The cutest little neck warmer in progress in mink and cashmere

buffalo, buffalo and more buffalo


New Zealand possum is really nice stuff

Updates next week, when spring break reaches my school!

No comments:
Post a Comment